The Fiber Optic Technician (FOT) is a member of a crew performing installation, troubleshooting, termination,
splicing, testing, maintenance, and repair of fiber optic cables of essential telecommunication systems, including
personal wireless communications, public safety communications, utility networks, and broadcasting. The FOT
performs their job duties inside and outside of homes and buildings.
- Splice fiber optic cables including both loose tube and ribbon cables, including high count ribbon fiber of 864 count or higher, and construct proper splice cases and fiber termination panels
- Troubleshoot and perform maintenance to resolve signal problems
- Operate technical equipment, including but not limited to computer, OTDR, power meters, fusion splicing equipment, and understand the functions
- Lift and manipulate splice enclosures and other plant and equipment
- Installation and dressing of fiber optic cabling
- Reading and interpreting work prints and splice diagrams
- Reading and interpreting existing fiber records, on maps or in the field
- Must have the ability to read splice and test results and provide timely reports to office team
- Must exhibit and uphold TeknoGRID’s safety values and ensure worksite safety
- PHigh School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- Demonstrated experience with fiber optic cable splicing, testing and repair
- Proficiency with tools including cable strippers, crimpers, and test equipment
- Ability to complete testing and report results timely
- Strong work ethic and desire to be a leader
- Must have good communication skills and a positive attitude
- The ability to manage and direct construction crew
- Valid US Driver’s License with no major violations in the past 3yrs
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to work safely, with or without supervision
- Minimum 5 years’ splicing experience
- Demonstrated experience with both loose tube and ribbon splicing as well as high count fibers
- OSHA 10/30
- Experience leading crew members
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This job operates in a field environment. This role routinely requires extended periods of bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting, lifting in awkward positions, standing, and twisting. Also, working in inclement weather conditions, such as extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, ice, snow, and wind. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This position is physically active, with lifting required. Must be able to bend and lift and carry up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and risks electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
We accomplish our mission with a team of experts working collaboratively on meaningful, impactful projects for our clients. Our team environment fosters intellectual curiosity, motivates employees, and cultivates talented people who work with purpose, mastery, and autonomy. We strive to listen to our clients, partner with them as a team and accept their goals as our own.
TeknoGRID is committed to delivering outstanding service and integrity to every client engagement. We design, construct, operate IT and telecom systems for public and private facility owners and operators. We are focused on striving for our “Big Vision” at becoming a recognized leader + driving force in deploying and servicing “Smart City” and “IOT” State of the Art systems and services. Our goal is that property developers, telecom providers, and public & nonprofit organizations will continue to look to us as a valued partner.
Hired candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check and may be subject to a drug screen.
TeknoGRID is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action employer.